First of hundreds of detained Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Israel

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with a cargo ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, on May 19.

Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with a cargo ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, on May 19.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge

TEL AVIV – The Israeli authorities have begun detaining hundreds of activists seized from a Gaza-bound flotilla at the southern port of Ashdod on May 20, a rights group said, after Israeli forces intercepted their vessels at sea.

The Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Turkey last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel’s blockade of the Palestinian territory, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy in April.

The Israeli authorities said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while rights group Adalah said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there.

“Having set sail towards Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the unlawful blockade, these civilian participants were forcefully abducted from international waters and taken into Israeli territory entirely against their will,” Adalah said.

“These acts are a direct extension of Israel’s policies of collective punishment and starvation of Palestinians in Gaza.”

The Israeli foreign ministry dismissed the operation as a publicity stunt serving Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas.

“Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet their consular representatives,” a spokesman from Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said late on May 19.

“This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas,” the spokesman added.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier denounced the flotilla as “a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza”.

The United States on May 19 sanctioned four people associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla and accused them of being “pro-terrorist”.

Around 50 ships had departed from south-western Turkey on May 14.

Nine Indonesian citizens who were part of the flotilla “have all been reported arrested by Israel”, a spokeswoman for Indonesia’s Foreign Ministry said, citing information dated May 20.

Indonesia called on Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members, adding that “every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilised”.

Indonesian newspaper Republika earlier said two of its journalists were among the nine Indonesians detained.

Turkey and Spain have condemned the interception.

Organisers said the flotilla also included 15 Irish citizens, including Ms Margaret Connolly, sister of President Catherine Connolly.

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.

During the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas’s October 2023 attack on Israel, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

A previous flotilla attempt was intercepted in April in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe.

Two were brought to Israel, detained for several days and then deported. AFP

See more on